The Hummus Recipes Kitchen (The home of Hummus Recipes & Delicious Middle Eastern Recipes) invites you to try Hareesa Recipe or Basbousa. Enjoy the Middle Eastern Cuisine and learn how to make Hareesa.
Hareesa or Basbousa is a sweet cake that is made of semolina or farina that is soaked in a delicious tasty syrup. In the Levant countries of the Middle East, it is referred to as Hareesa, and in Egypt it is called Basbousa. It is also known as Revani in Turkish and Ravani (southern Greece) or Revani (northern Greece) in Greek.
4 cups farina (cream of wheat or semolina)
1 1/4 cups (2.5 sticks) butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup plain yogurt for mixture
1/4 cup almonds, toasted
oil for greasing pan and toasting almonds
3 tablespoons yogurt for smoothing
3 cups of syrup (recipe Below)
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Mix farina, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, yogurt and melted butter together and blend well.
3. Grease baking pan with butter or oil and pour mixture onto pan.
4. Smooth the top of the mixture with yogurt.
5. Toast the almonds (place oil in a frying pan and toast almonds in there for about 5 minutes). Remove from oil. Cut mixture into pieces (~20-30) Place a toasted almond on each piece.
6. Bake at 400F for ~30 minutes or until brown. Let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Pour a thin layer of syrup over the surface and allow to penetrate the entire baked dish. (Syrup recipe below)
Serves: 20-30 pieces
3 cups white sugar
2 cups water
1. Place sugar and water into a small saucepan.
2. Stir well over stovetop until all sugar is dissolved.
3. Go to step 8 above.
Can use other nuts such as a walnut in place of the almond. Can top with coconut for a nice addition. Can also add rose water or orange blossom water to the syrup to give a richer flavor.
More Desserts Recipes
Snow-topped holly cakes
Simmer-&-stir Christmas cake
Turkish pavlova Recipe
Almond Baskets Recipe
Save and share Basboosa recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.