2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions (sliced)
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
4 tomatoes (peeled and diced)
1 green pepper (seeded and sliced)
1 teaspoon oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 handful parsley (chopped)
2 tomatoes (sliced)
1/2 onion (sliced)
- Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise, scoop out the middles and chop them.
- Salt the eggplant shells and chopped middles and let rest in a strainer for 203-30 minutes.
- Roast the eggplant shells in a preheated 400F/200C oven until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse the salt from the eggplant and pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and saute until the onions are tender, about 7-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped eggplant, tomatoes, green pepper, oregano, salt and pepper and cook until the sauce thickens, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the burner and stir in the parsley.
- Place the eggplant shells in a baking dish, fill them with the mixture and top with the sliced tomatoes and onions.
- Fill the dish with hot water until it goes halfway up the eggplant shells.
- Bake in a preheated 400F/200C oven until the water has evaporated and the tomatoes and onions are well roasted and caramelized, about 1 hour.