Prep Time: 50 mins | Total Time: 50 mins | Servings: 4-6
"This delicious recipe is from Burt Green and is my favorite way to eat whole wheat bulgur. It easy and fabulous as a side dish for a wide variety of meat or vegetarian meals. Please try this."
1/3 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 cup bulgur
1 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, heated
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 pinch cayenne (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the tomatos and basil, cooking 2 more minutes.
- Stir the bulgur into the tomato mixture, making sure that the bulgur is well coated.
- Stir in the hot broth, reduce the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the honey, tomato paste, salt, pepper and cayenne to the bulgur mixture.
- Continue to cook, covered until the bulgur is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed, about 25 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the parsley over the top.