The Hummus Recipes Kitchen (The home of Hummus Recipes & Delicious Middle Eastern Recipes) invites you to try Hummus with Preserved Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe. Enjoy the Middle Eastern Cuisine and learn how to make Hummus with Preserved Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes.
You can pick up jars of preserved lemon at Middle Eastern markets, or prepare our Quick Preserved Lemons (find the recipe at CookingLight.com). Be sure to use tahini made with toasted sesame seeds for the best flavor. Serve as a dip with pita bread.
YIELD: 12 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)
1 cup dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
6 cups water
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons diced preserved lemon, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Sort and wash chickpeas; place in a bowl. Cover chickpeas with water to 2 inches above chickpeas; cover and let stand 8 hours. Drain.
2. Combine chickpeas and 6 cups water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until very tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl; reserve 2/3 cup cooking liquid.
3. Place tomatoes in a bowl; cover with boiling water. Cover and let stand 20 minutes or until tender; drain. Set aside 1 tablespoon tomatoes.
4. Combine chickpeas, reserved 2/3 cup cooking liquid, tahini, juice, salt, cumin, pepper, and garlic in a food processor; process until smooth.
5. Stir in tomatoes and 1 tablespoon preserved lemon. Spoon mixture onto a serving plate; spread to a 3/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon tomatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon preserved lemon, and parsley. Drizzle with oil.
Nutritional Information (Amount per serving)
Calories from fat: 41%
Saturated fat: 0.6g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
Joan Nathan, Cooking Light December 2008
More Middle Eastern Recipes:
White Bean Hummus
White Bean and Roasted Eggplant Hummus
Spicy Hummus: Quick Chickpea Spread
Chunky Vegetable Hummus Spread
Hummus Salad Plate
Save and share Hummus with Preserved Lemon and Sun-Dried Tomatoes Recipe
Want to share this recipe with your family and friends? Click the button below to send them an email or save this to your favorite social network.